Asima Chatterjee was born on 23 September 1917 and is remembered for her extraordinary work in the field of organic chemistry.
Here are few points abou her :
- Born : 23 September 1917 (Kolkata)
- Died : 22 November 2006 (Kolkata)
- Field of Excellence : Organic Chemistry
- Most Notable work : Development of anti-epileptic and anti-malarial drugs, research on vinca alkaloids.
- Graduation : Scottish Church College, 1936
- Masters : University of Calcutta, 1938
- In 1940 she joined Lady Brabourne College as HoD of chemestry department.
- She was awarded Doctrate of Science in 1944, and became first women to be awarded with such honourary title from an indian university.
- She was awarded with many prestigious awards including Padma Bhushan.
- She was also nominated as member of Rajya Sabha from 1982 to 1990, by the President of India.